Dental implants have been used successfully for smile restoration for the last 50 years. This is the most conservative and longest-lasting treatment for replacing a missing tooth. Implants are also useful for supporting dentures and bridges to correct more extensive tooth loss.
There is a lot of truth to the claim that dental implant is the gold standard to smile makeover. For one, it is no accident that it is one of the most popular.Missing teeth can affect more than the beauty of your smile; they may also limit oral function. As a result, chewing and speaking may be impaired. Over time, even your self-confidence could be damaged. Dental implants offer a permanent solution that can provide abundant benefits. Whether you’re missing one, several, or all of your teeth, this option is designed to achieve superior results by mimicking the look and feel of your natural teeth.
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS?
If you have lost, or are congenitally missing one or more teeth, we recommend speaking with Dr. Tehranian about getting the dental implants. There is no upper age limit for this treatment. The most important factor in success rates for implants is bone density.
Patients who have very advanced gum disease may not have enough bone left to hold an implant. They may need one or more bone grafting procedures before they can get tooth implants. Smokers have more complications during healing than non-smokers, so if you smoke, you need to stop before you undergo this treatment.
WHY CHOOSE TOOTH IMPLANTS?
By choosing dental implants, you can enhance your smile in several ways. Our practice utilizes some of the most advanced techniques, materials, and technologies available to help ensure exceptional results and an unparalleled experience. In addition to replacing missing teeth, dental implant benefits typically include:
- Enhanced comfort
- No special or additional maintenance—simply brush and floss as usual
- Reduced wear to the gums
- Preservation of jawbone density and strength
- Improved bite alignment and function
- Aesthetically appealing results
Dental implants can reduce your risk for future dental complications, such as additional tooth loss or facial bone loss. Furthermore, your implants won’t slip or slide in your mouth, a common concern associated with impermanent or removable tooth replacement options.
DENTAL IMPLANTS PROCEDURE
Each dental implant is comprised of two parts: a titanium post and a porcelain dental crown. The post will be surgically implanted into your jawbone as a stable foundation for the natural-looking crown, which serves as the visible part of the tooth. During your initial consultation, Dr. Tehranian will discuss your desired outcome and examine your areas of concern to determine the best technique for your singular needs and goals. Adequate bone density is necessary for successful dental implantation, and she will inform you if this method or another treatment option will be best based on your evaluation.
- Consultation – This includes a comprehensive dental exam, medical history, x-rays and a CT scan. This information is used to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants as well as what size and shape of implant to use.
- Preparation – If you have a tooth root in place, this is removed. The gum is opened slightly to expose the jawbone.
- Placement – A tiny hole is drilled in your jawbone and the titanium implant is screwed or fitted in place.
- Healing – This phase lasts 3-6 months. During this time, your jawbone heals around the implant.
- Abutment – A small metal post is attached to the implant and your gum is allowed to heal again.
- Restoration – A custom made ceramic crown that looks like your natural teeth is fitted on to the abutment.
Not A Single Day Procedure ; like all great things in life , dental implants restorations require some sacrifices on your part as the patient. For one thing, it is a process that takes several months to heal, and restore . It is not a procedure that can all be done in a single day.
To reserve a consultation with Dr. Tehranian , please contact our patient coordinator , Yvonne on (01772) 726932