Dangers of Dental Mercury!
Dental amalgam is a primitive filling material made of between 50 and 60 percent mercury. Amalgam fillings are commonly called “silver fillings” – a marketing term that deceives many patients into believing that amalgam is mainly silver, which is only a minor component of filling material.
Dental amalgam contains elemental mercury. It releases low levels of mercury in the form of a vapor that can be inhaled and absorbed by the lungs. High levels of mercury vapor exposure are associated with adverse effects in the brain and the kidneys.
Amalgam accounts for between 240-300 tons of mercury entering the market every year. Dental practices across the country are the second largest user of mercury – and this mercury eventually ends up in our environment by one pathway or another. Dental mercury from amalgam pollutes the water, air, and the land.
Mercury in amalgam is a neurotoxin; vulnerable individuals, such as children, the fetuses of pregnant women, hypersensitive patients and people with kidney impairments are known to be particularly susceptible to the neurotoxic effects of dental mercury.
On top of all the neurological, reproductive, and environmental harm caused by amalgam, it turns out that amalgam even endangers our oral health. It is well known that placing amalgam requires the removal of a significant amount of healthy tooth matter. This removal, in turn, weakens overall tooth structure which increases the need for future dental treatment . in addition, amalgam fillings tend to expand and contract over time, crack teeth and create the need for still more dental work.
More Than a Smile Makeover:
Bioaccumulation refers to the build-up or steadily increasing concentration of a chemical in organs or tissues in the body. Mercury from dental amalgam is bioaccumulative. Studies of healthy subjects with amalgam fillings have shown that mercury from exposure to mercury vapor bioaccumulates in certain tissues of the body including kidneys and brain.
Alternatives to Amalgam
Amalgam is interchangeable with numerous other reliable healthy filling materials – including resin composites and porcelain – ceramic onlays – that have rendered amalgam completely unnecessary for any clinical situation. Always choose non-mercury fillings!
Composite resin fillings are the most common alternative to dental amalgam. They are sometimes called “tooth-coloured” or “white” fillings because of their colour. Composite resin fillings are made of a type of plastic (an acrylic resin) reinforced with powdered glass filler. The colour and translucency of composite resins can be customized to closely match surrounding teeth.
Most dentists still believe that mercury dental fillings pose no threat to one’s health. They had been taught in dental school that this material was safe and never questioned it during their practice. Nevertheless, progressive dentists with a high degree of integrity continually read the current literature, investigate new procedures and materials, and only then will they change their practices according to new findings in dentistry and health.
Our cosmetic dentists, who believe in holistic dental care, do not simply take the opinion of any group or organization without sound, unbiased scientific evidence proving the issue. They do not use any material simply because they always used it or it is easier or cheaper to use. Treating patients in a Bio-Safe Dentistry manner, in a safe environment with biocompatible materials and chemicals is the duty of all practicing dentists.
Why is Mercury Used in Fillings?
Mercury has been used in fillings since the 19th century but has faced controversy since the beginning. Shortly after the invention of amalgam, numerous harmful effects were widely reported. Mercury poisoning became a top concern and many dentists vowed to stop using the material. However, the majority of dentists throughout the UK continued to use amalgam fillings because they were much cheaper, faster, and easier to place than traditional gold materials.
What to Do if You Have a Silver Filling
Mercury is poisonous to your body and it definitely should not be in your mouth. The longer you have silver fillings in your mouth, the more mercury you likely have in your body and the more it will affect your health. Although it will be difficult to remove the mercury already in your system, you can prevent it from continuing to build. Your best option is to remove your amalgam fillings as soon as you can.
Removing silver fillings and replacing them with a safe, non-toxic material is a common dental procedure. Always make sure you have this painless procedure completed by an experienced holistic dentist who understands how to safely and effectively remove amalgam fillings.
How Mercury Fillings Poison Your Body
If you have a silver filling, every time you chew a small amount of mercury from your filling (about 2-20 micrograms a day) is released into your body.
Chewing gum is especially problematic as it releases an even greater amount of mercury into your system. An increase in temperature in your mouth, for instance, when you drink hot coffee or tea, will also encourage the release of mercury vapors in your mouth.
Human Health Risks Linked to Mercury Fillings
Dental mercury and its vapor have been scientifically linked to a number of health risks which demonstrate the danger of dental amalgam mercury fillings. Individual response to mercury varies, and some of the factors known to potentially impact those exposed to mercury include their allergies, diet, gender, genetic predispositions to adverse reactions from mercury, the number of amalgam fillings in the mouth, and concurrent or previous exposures to other toxic chemicals such as lead
What People are Saying
“A Great Find”
“My family and I have been with Lane Ends Dentists for many years and we’ve been very happy with their service. I have no hesitation recommending them both for routine care and also for emergencies.
“Fabulous Dental Practice & flawless service”
Experience at this dental practice is amazing wonderful staff put me at ease as soon as I walked through the doors. All other dentists I have been to very disappointed until I came here saved my teeth regained my self-confidence.
very warm friendly staff, always spotless and smells lovely, Colin is lovely I have a fear of flossing and scaping but he helps me through it by making me laugh even when I’m telling him I hate him!! No complaints at all first class service.
I have been attending lane ends dental practice for about 6 years, before coming to the practice I’ve had a bad experience and because of that didn’t attend a dentist for 16years. I’m so happy with the service and treatment I receive at the practice, pain-free and everyone is so welcoming. This is the best dentist in Preston.
Mercury Fillings Poison Your Body
Green, Holistic Dentistry
Hours of Operation
08;30 am – 6:00pm
TUS – WED – FRI
08;30 am – 6:00pm
08;30 am – 6:00pm